Tuesday 9 September 2008

Elegance has nothing to do with fashion



Apparently celebrating his 70th birthday this week (he refuses to admit his age), that eccentric legend Karl Lagerfeld is indeed a waspish soul.

Here are a few of his more memorable quotes:
  • "I am basically the most superficial person in the world."
  • "Gratitude is a sticky feeling."
  • "Coming out after a show is good discipline for me because I have to watch out that I don't look like an old garden gnome next to all these 20-year-old models."
  • "Elegance has nothing to do with fashion."
  • "I'm sorry. What I say is only applicable as I am saying it."
  • "I hate the word 'cheap'. People are cheap. Clothing is either expensive or inexpensive."
  • "I really love animals, particularly when they are stuffed with cotton or polyester. That way you can guarantee that they won't bite, won't claw, won't smell bad and make your things dirty"
  • "I am made of total egoism."
  • "Sunglasses are like eyeshadow. They make everything look younger and prettier."
  • "I avoid thinking. I want to have an easy life without problems."
  • "You cannot take yourself too seriously."
Earlier this year, the DVD of his life Lagerfeld Confidential was released in the UK. I haven't seen it yet, but I am certain that even a carefully crafted documentary couldn't get to the real measure of this complicated and fascinating man...

A true dandy, and we salute him!

Hello! magazine profile of Karl Lagerfeld

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]