Monday 16 March 2009

I'd rather Jack

Twenty years ago this week, I noticed a change was becoming evident in the British charts. An "underground" phenomenon that had already being doing the rounds for a couple of years, with its infectious bouncy beats and crossover sampling, a mix of electronic music, disco and jazz-funk piano, was causing a sensation.

I first caught onto this new style of dance music - which during the whole of 1989 began to conquer the world in its many forms ("acid house", "garage", "funky house", "handbag") - while I was staying at a friend's place in Kent (many moons away from the backward music scene of Wales), and at that point I realised that "cool" club music had made a comeback, and there was a alternative to the Stock Aitken Waterman years.

Something big was happening, and these tunes were two of its early mainstream successes - soon to be followed by enormous hits for the likes of Deee-Lite, The Shamen and the rest. House was born!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]