Sunday 26 April 2009

Sleeping Bea



Words fail me when it comes to paying tribute to the late, great Bea Arthur, who died yesterday.

Suffice to say that her showbiz life, from the early days in the same drama class as Elaine Stritch and Marlon Brando, to performing with the greats - Jerry Herman, Angela Lansbury, Rock Hudson, Topol, Lucille Ball, Mary Tyler-Moore and Sid Caesar among them - was vast and varied, ultimately securing her the classic role of Dorothy in The Golden Girls, for which she is revered by queens and old biddies alike.

We saw her on stage in her one-woman show Just Between Friends back in 2003, and she was fabulous - warm, funny and self-deprecating, as she recounted songs and episodes from her long career.

To me, she always appeared to be a genuine, interesting and extremely witty person, the ideal "fantasy party guest", whether in character or in person.



A brilliant star - I will miss her terribly. RIP.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]