Tuesday 15 September 2009

Life is food



"Food is life, life is food. If you don't like my approach you are welcome to go down to MacDonalds."

Celebs are dropping like flies, it seems. First we had the sad news about Patrick Swayze, and also today we hear that one of my TV "heroes", the eternally sozzled Keith Floyd has died.

The grand-daddy of all the UK's "cookery-meets-travelogue" series, from the early 1980s Mr Floyd's wine-glugging slightly shambolic programmes became hugely popular, and, along with the saintly Delia he did wonders in bringing renewed enthusiasm into the cooking habits of the great British public (and inspired others like Rick Stein, Anthony Worral Thompson and even Jamie bloody Oliver to venture onto our screens).

Always on the go, it was inevitable that he would embark on chef's tours around the UK, France and the Mediterranean in search of the most authentic and the best recipes - a ground-breaking TV genre at the time. I, like millions of others, found him mesmerising, and I will miss his ebullient style...





Keith Floyd: Obituary

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]