Tuesday 29 December 2009

Oh, those Russians...



Today I thought I'd share one of my new(ish) discoveries for your delectation. Our eternally-missed hero Klaus Nomi was a one-off, but one young Latvian/Russian megastar seems to have taken up at least some of the mantle.

Vitas has a remarkable singing voice, and it was his semi-operatic falsetto that brought him instant fame in Russia back in 2000 with his hit Opera No 2.

His fantastic costumes (he sidelines in fashion design) and twink good looks meant that his concert tours became a massively popular spectacle across the East, from Eastern Europe to China, where he is one of their most popular artists. Just this year, he brought his acting skills to a new Chinese live-action movie of the story of Mulan (which became a Disney cartoon in 1998). Anyway, here is the gentleman himself...




Vitas website

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]