Tuesday 7 June 2011

Nothing I know brings on the glow like sweet applause



Many happy returns today to one of the few remaining composers from the classic era of musicals - the 83-year-old Charles Strouse.

With a back catalogue of Broadway productions that includes Bye Bye Birdie, Golden Boy, Nick & Nora and of course the timeless classic Annie, as well as numerous revues for stars such as Chita Rivera, film soundtracks for Bonnie and Clyde and The Night They Raided Minsky's, and standards such as Once Upon a Time and Born Too Late, he certainly has a track record to be proud of!

Not least for this, in my opinion his campest meisterwork:


Applause, written by Mr Strouse, Betty Comden and Adolph Green with Lauren Bacall in mind, is of course a musical adaptation of every queen's favourite Bette Davis movie All About Eve. A delight...

http://www.charlesstrouse.com/

The CD of Applause is available from Dress Circle (of course!)

8 comments:

  1. never seen this - the song sounds fab - I must drag my sorry fat ass over to Covent Garden and check out the soundtrack … thanks for another heads up dear x

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS on Don Black's Radio Show standing in for EP he played a new song from the forthcoming Bonnie & Clyde musical - sounded really good.

    Think it's opening towards the end of this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ordered the soundtrack from amazon for £8.26 - :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As you might imagine, here at Dolores Delargo Towers we have Applause on vinyl as well as CD - I think I must have missed the Bonnie and Clyde musical number on Sunday, however - will look out for that one! Jx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear that Dress Circle might close, I feel bad for shopping at Amazon but its market forces … :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. "The Most Homosexual Place On Earth" cannot close! I will petition to save it, and man the barricades... Jx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think they are having fund raising events :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. They don't need fundraising events, they need customers! Apparently their landlord has put the rent up 35%, and the rotten winter meant their Xmas sales were down. I have offered to put out flyers for them, and to try and promote them as best I can. Amazon is great, but there is no substitute for browsing through the shelves at Dress Circle... Jx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]