Thursday 22 September 2011

"We are allies, my dear"



As we wish a happy 66th birthday today to ITV - Britain's first commercial broadcaster, launched this day in 1955 - so it is worth celebrating a programme that is definitely that channel's "finest hour" since Brideshead Revisited in 1981.

Downton Abbey is a phenomenon. Universally lauded by critics and audiences alike, it is practically guaranteed to take every TV award going, being as it is a fantastically-acted cross between costume drama and soap (the perfect combination!).

And with the pithy writing of that master of the art Julian Fellowes behind her, its unavowed star is the redoubtable Lady Grantham (Maggie Smith). When she made her entrance in Sunday's first episode of series two, we practically applauded. Here are just some of her better lines:
  • Mrs Crawley: “What should we call each other?”
    Lady Grantham: “Well, we could always start with Mrs Crawley and Lady Grantham.”
  • Lady Mary: “Sybil is entitled to her opinions.”
    Lady Grantham: “No. She isn’t until she is married, then her husband will tell her what her opinions are.”
  • Lady Grantham: “You are quite wonderful the way you see room for improvement wherever you look. I never knew such reforming zeal.”
    Mrs Crawley: “I take that as a compliment.”
    Lady Grantham: “I must have said it wrong.”
  • Lord Grantham: “We had better go in soon or it isn’t fair to Mrs Patmore.”
    Lady Grantham: “Oh, is her cooking so precisely timed? You couldn’t tell.”
  • Cora: “Are we to be friends then?”
    Lady Grantham: “We are allies, my dear, which can be a good deal more effective.”
  • “What is a weekend?”
  • Lady Grantham: “So, that’s Mary’s replacement. Well, I suppose looks aren’t everything.”
    Cora: “I think she seems rather sweet. I’m afraid meeting us all together must be very intimidating.”
    Lady Grantham: “I do hope so.”
  • “I hate Greek drama...when everything happens offstage.”


http://www.itv.com/downtonabbey/

3 comments:

  1. i watched a few episodes of the first series, originally because I rather like Hugh Bonneville but I hadn't seen the new series until I read your blog earlier tonight - I have just watched on ITV Player and I think the new series is even better than the first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is early days, but as ever, the producers have crammed so much into a single episode that it has us hooked! Completely! I can't wait for Sunday now... Jx

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love this show in the USA...!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]