Sunday 13 November 2011

C'etait Ma Vie



Thanks to John-John and the lovely Henry, Eurovision frenzy has started early this year! Not only has the warm-up for Sweden's Melodiefestivalen already begun, but Switzerland opened its prospective selection for 2012 to all comers, and received 221 songs to select from.

And what an eclectic lot crept out of the woodwork to try and represent the land of chocolate and cuckoo clocks!

Not only X-Factor losers Same Difference (described by Simon Cowell as "potentially two of the most annoying people I've ever met"), but apparently Ultra Nate and a Motorhead tribute band called No Mercy also gave it a go. Through to the shortlist however is the contest's first ever winner, the 87-year-old Lys Assia...

Perfect music for a Sunday, I'd say:


Here is the lovely lady singing the winning entry from that very first contest 55 years ago - Refrain:


I am getting excited already!

Eurovsion Song Contest

6 comments:

  1. I never liked Same Difference but I downloaded their song Karma Karma and it's one of my not so guilty pleasures - it's rather fab.

    I'm just back after 3 weeks away and I'm completely out of the musical loop.

    Is the Ricky Martin song any good? I like some of his, gonna google it now.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back sweetie! You have a lot to catch up on, but it is all here...

    If you look again at the blog you'll see that there are links to the Ricky song, and the Same Difference one. Infuriatingly, hyperlinks aren't underlined in my Blogger template but the text is a different colour.

    Jx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ultra Nate and Rikcy Martin? Very unexpected names, to say the least.
    I am already excited - only a couple of months until it all starts with the national finals...

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh - listening now … Same Difference sounds very much like Karma Karma - maybe they're creating their own sound :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ricky Martini's song is about 1 minute 10 seconds too long for Eurovision - I think I'll wait for the Euro-edit :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not even convinced that Mr Martin is representing Spain next year - I can find nothing about it anywhere except on that YouTube page John-John found. I don't speak Spanish, but I think I can gather that many of the people who have posted replies are skeptical too... Jx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]