Friday 18 November 2011

Soul Mama



“The only time I'm really happy is when I'm on that stage, in front of my audience. Then, I'm the happiest woman in the world!"

The legendary Gwen McCrae certainly made herself and a lot of people (including me!) very happy last night, as she gave a captivating and sassy performance at Islington Assembly Hall. I bid for, and got, free tickets (as a member of staff), but unfortunately no-one else was able to go with me. So off I trotted on my own

Support act the Aussie funksters Electric Empire warmed proceedings up nicely with a fine set of jazzy numbers, but it was the diva herself we'd all come to see - when she finally took to the stage...



Looking fabulous for 67 in her sparkly sequinned jacket and mad "Tina" hair, the lady captivated right from the opening bars. Her voice is marvellous! All her crowd-pleasing hits (and more) were here - Funky Sensation, Rockin' Chair (in a medley with her ex-husband George's mega-hit Rock Your Baby), Girlfriend's Boyfriend, All This Love That I'm Giving, 90% Of Me Is You and of course the fantabulosa disco-tastic Keep The Fire Burning, which got all of us in the audience singing and dancing along!

It was all over far too soon, but I had a brilliant time. It has re-opened my ears to a long-neglected era of funky soul music, the predecessor of disco, when talent really mattered (unlike today, when a screech and a wibble will do as long as you look ok on TV).

Let us instead celebrate real music - here is Miss McCrae herself, giving it all she's got!


Gwen McCrae official website

More Gwen McCrae music on her MySpace page

2 comments:

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]