Tuesday 28 February 2012

Historical copulation



Not yet worn out by the last few days' hectic whizz around the country - Essex last week, Steampunk Ball on Friday, Brighton all weekend - we went on a little excursion to the British Museum today.

Surprisingly exhausting in its magnitude, among the treasures I sought out was the fantastic Warren Cup, a two thousand year old paean to gay sex - the latest exhibit in the Dolores Delargo Towers Museum of Camp - and we also saw relicts from the proud reign of the gay Emperor Hadrian, Egyptian phallocentric "Min" statues, and some of the campest jewellery and ornamental artefacts under the sun.

A glittering day, and in many ways an affirmation of the long tradition of gay culture in history...

And I think I have found just the right music to celebrate our day, and to celebrate the end of LGBT History Month:


Add your name (again) to this Hall of Fame, indeed!

3 comments:

  1. I love the British Museum. And as you show above they have some outstanding exhibits. Keep enjoying your time-off. I hope to ctach up with you later in the week for a jolly good catch-up. Love to you and Madame Acarti. J-Jxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Years ago, when I was a kid, my Mum was doing the garden one Sunday and let out this huge guffaw of laughter. She'd dug up this little lead, male figure, about three inches tall, that had a huge penis and his hairdo was shaped like a nob end / Shaun Ryder hairdo at the height of Madchester.

    The figure looked like an ancient artifact, so we got a bit excited that it might be valuable. My Mum and Dad took it to Liverpool museum to find out more, but were told there was no value to it. It dated back to Victorian times, when there was a group of people who were protesting against the Victorian trend for covering up the genitals on classic statues. The figure was a representation of the god Priapus, and was apparently one of many that were made at the time by those arts protesters. How it got into my Mum's garden remains a mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, Helên, someone up there was obviously trying to tell you something about your future, it seems... Jx

    PS John-John - if I don't see you before, I'll see you for "Abigail's Party" on Monday.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]