Wednesday 23 May 2012

It's man devouring man, my dear!



Who would have thought I would ever enjoy a theatrical production with Michael Ball in it?

Last night however, the man whose output I previously considered too lightweight, too middle-of-the-road for my taste, confounded every expectation as he brought a chilling and musically flawless Sweeney Todd to life!

[How did they make him look so different?]

Having seen what I thought would be the definitive Sweeney in 2007 [notwithstanding the Angela Lansbury/Len Cariou version of course] starring the naturally scary and brilliantly booming Bryn Terfel (with Maria Friedman, Daniel Boys and Philip Quast) at the Royal Festival Hall, I was worried this might not be up to scratch. On reflection however, to make a comparison between that - a concert version with minimal staging to speak of - and the current fully choreographed theatrical production is unseemly.

For this was a true spectacle - befitting a West End production in a theatre as Art-Deco-glamorous as is The Adephi on the Strand. Set against Anthony Ward's superbly dark, gloomy and threatening backdrop with its stairs, smoke and backlighting, the atmosphere of gothic Victorian London (transferred in this production to the 1930s, to accommodate a few liberties with the plot such as neon lighting and motor vehicles I assume) genuinely set the scene for Stephen Sondheim's scary masterpiece. The ensemble "Greek chorus" - carefully chosen for their creepy looks as much as their singing and acting talents - were marvellous; their harmonies providing a perfect foil for the murderous plot. In fact all the casting was splendid!

The aforementioned Mr Ball as Sweeney and "national treasure" Imelda Staunton as Mrs Lovett were a true revelation. Imbuing a believable sense of utter evil into the characters, with just the right amount of black humour and pathos, they played out their wicked pas de deux with impeccable timing and beautiful vocal dexterity. I was captivated.

The supporting cast of the pretty Luke Brady and Lucy May Barker as the doomed lovers Anthony and Joanna, John Bowe as the creepily sleazy Judge and Peter Polycarpou as the corrupt Beadle, James McConville as the convincingly sickly and simple Tobias, and the superb Robert Burt as the greedy and pompous Pirelli injected genuine emotion and conviction into the twisting and turning plot.



From the humour of The Worst Pies in London and By The Sea to the tragedy of the Beggar Woman/Lucy (a wonderfully mad Gillian Kirkpatrick), the macabre My Friends and the dramatic Epiphany to the lovely Joanna, the complex brilliance of A Little Priest to the mournful Asylum scene, this was indeed a magnificent performance of one of my favourite musicals.


Highlights? Probably too many to count - although full marks go to Miss Staunton's transformation of Mrs Lovett from motherly matron to sinister murderess within the confines of one mesmerising scene (my favourite, Not While I'm Around), and to Mr Ball's terrifyingly evil eyes as he sings the jolly Pretty Women while slicing through the Judge's jugular...

Deservedly, this excellent production received a standing ovation. I could hardly take a breath by the end - it was such an exhausting (in a good way) emotional experience!

Here's the (very short) West End trailer:


And here's a slightly longer trailer for the show's run in Chichester last year:


Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street is on at The Adelphi until September 2012, and I can highly recommend it.

[And thanks again to Paul, who treated us all to the tickets in celebration of his birthday!]

4 comments:

  1. How wonderful!

    Sweeney is one of the greatest shows ever written. I was fortunate enough to see the original production all those years ago. It completely blew me away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am certain nothing will ever compare to the Angela Lansbury/George Hearn original (jealous? moi?), but as revivals go, this was absolutely superb... Jx

      Delete
  2. I saw this last month with Grumpy - it is very good, Imelda Staunton stole the show for me although that isn't intended to take anything away from Michael Ball.

    He was great in Hairspray too - I was a little un-sure if I'd like him in Hairspray but he converted my opinion of him totally in that production.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have indeed seen Mr Ball in a completely new light... JX

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]