Wednesday 21 November 2012

Muzica noua

Time, methinks, to open the musical Pandora's box once more.

Let's open with the official new single mix by Stuart Price of Pet Shop Boys' next single Memory of the Future has just been premiered on Radio 2, and is rather hypnotic and soothing - it is released on 31st December:


Taking the beat up a few notches, here's the latest from the man with the most unlikely real name (Orlando Higginbottom) and band name, to boot - it's Your Love by Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs, and it's totally catchy!

This lady by the name of Janina Gavankar is apparently famous, appearing in some TV programmes I have never seen (True Blood, The "L" Word). She is also a singer and musician, and this, her new single Waiting for Godot is an intriguing musical odyssey indeed (even if she does pronounce it "gu-doh")...

Speaking of anthemic, The Answer, the latest from the super-cool Avec Sans has a hook that gets right inside the brain, if you let it:

[2022 UPDATE: Video now gone from the interwebs, but the track is available to listen via Soundcloud.]

If you love (as I do) your music a bit electro-retro-80s-stylee, then this collaboration between DJ Kris Menace and the legend that is Miss Kittin, Hide is simply perfect - I love it!

At last, we have the new release by our dear friend the amazingly multi-talented Mr Marcus Reeves (who we most recently saw at Gay Lifestyles) - three cheers for the fantabulosa Black Tears:

And finally... Something I just heard last night on Radio 3 (of all places - but it was on their Late Junction slot, not one of their classical music programmes). It's fantastic. It's fun. It's DelaDap and their Georgian Lession 1-6 - all together now!

As always, enjoy - and let me know your thoughts!

4 comments:

  1. What a weird selection (in a postive way, obviously). I obviously adore anything PSB do - and I quite like "Hide" and the last one. I don't know about the rest though, will give them another spin.

    Hope you are feeling well and about to have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always maintain I have eclectic tastes, dear... do give them all another try - I think you'll like DelaDap, and Miss Roche's song too (if you can wade through the rest of the performance :-)

      I am recovering well (although my leg is purple!), and have already ventured into town today without too much problem, so looking forward to a good weekend (storms permitting). Hope you have a great one, too! Jx

      Delete
  2. You are quite correct, I do like "Bass Gun" and I absolutely love "Georgian Lesson 1-6".

    Eclectic tastes are a must, although people may write you off as a madman for it (I was a DJ for years and thought for example that it was the most natural thing in the world to play The Prodigy's "Breathe" and Bette Midler's "Otto Titsling" back to back. I still think it is...)

    Glad to hear you are recovering well - let us all count down to the next weekend, shall we?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe Miss Midler and the Prodigy make perfect musical bed-fellows! I'd love you to DJ at one of our parties... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]