Sunday 3 March 2013

Our Pet, a modern lady



I'm obviously having a bit of a "Diva Day" (when don't I?).

For, having listened to another of our Patron Saints Miss Petula Clark being interviewed on Terry Wogan's Radio 2 show this morning, I remembered I haven't yet mentioned the grande dame's new album!

Most ladies of 80 might be happy to spend their quality time with their knitting, or perhaps a Whist Drive, but not Our Pet! Not content with constantly touring - she is back in the UK in October 2013 - she has released Lost in You (her 35th UK studio album, a mere 57 years after her first) which has some very modern tracks, and unique takes on recent standards such as Gnarls Barkley's Crazy (as well as versions of Imagine, Love Me Tender and her own Downtown). It is surprisingly good.

It just goes to show you cannot keep a great singer down! Here's the brilliant single Cut Copy Me, which reviewers have variously compared (favourably) to Lana del Ray and St Etienne. Praise, indeed...


There are some rather good remixes available, too.

And here, for your delectation, is the entire album stream on Soundcloud:
[If the widget doesn't work for you, visit The Guardian website.]


[2022 UPDATE: Gone from Soundcloud. Here's a link to Spotify.]

We love Pet.

Petula Clark official website

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. She is adorable - and I do really like her album! Jx

      Delete
  2. I am going to buy this one - love what I have heard so far, especially the fabulous "Cut Copy Me" (as you already know).

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]