Sunday 16 June 2013

Someone glanced across a dance floor


[One of those 80s album covers that inspires our legendary re-creations]

Timeslip moment again...

From this week thirty years ago, here's a long-forgotten one-hit-wonder from Scottish combo H2O, I Dream To Sleep. I loved it at the time, as I recall - not least for the presence of the lovely lead singer Ian Donaldson...


Typically pretentious 80s lyrics:

Someone glanced across a dance floor
Not going home and loving in doorways
A room to remember who to meet in
Secrets in through your head and out through your mouth.

Elsewhere anyone sharing a sunrise
I've never been a silhouette before
Touch to the sound of Young Americans -
Or am I still too young?

I dream to sleep
I sleep to dream
I dream to sleep
I sleep to dream

Dancing together Tango'd emotions
Blushing you turn your face away.
Silent persuation that reshaped my future
And Ill never be the same again.

I dream to sleep
I sleep to dream

Someone glanced across a dance floor...

I dream to sleep
I sleep to dream
I dream to sleep
I sleep to dream


Mr Donaldson went on to perform with former members of Big Country and Simple Minds in the covers band FourGoodMen, but since then appears to have disappeared off the radar.

H2O at AllMusic

2 comments:

  1. Don't think I have ever heard this before. Not bad, but I agree about the very pretentious lyrics...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another reason we loved the 80s - full of opportunities to take the piss. Have you re-read the sleeve notes for Spandau Ballet's Journeys To Glory recently? Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]