Thursday 1 May 2014

Idle-diddle-daidle-daidle man



Sheldon Harnick, Tony- and Pulitzer-winning lyricist of Fiddler on the Roof, Fiorello! and She Loves Me among many other shows, celebrated his 90th birthday yesterday.

As a solo writer or in collaboration with the likes of Jerry Bock, Richard Rodgers, Cy Coleman or Michel Legrand, the man's tally of songwriting credits is phenomenal.

This year also marks the 50th anniversary of the Broadway première of his Fiddler on the Roof.

So, to mark these two very special milestones, let's hear my favourite (and highly appropriate, given the precarious situation I am currently going through in work) song from that show:


"I'd build a big tall house with rooms by the dozen,
Right in the middle of the town.
A fine tin roof with real wooden floors below.
There would be one long staircase just going up,
And one even longer coming down,
And one more leading nowhere, just for show."


Indeed.

Sheldon Harnick (born 30th April 1924)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]