Wednesday 9 December 2015

Really worth a try



It's a timeslip moment again, as we materialise in this week thirty years ago...

In the news in early December 1985: Mikhail Gorbachev continued progress towards reform in Russia; "Les Miserables" opened in the West End (and it's still there!); a new Nissan factory was built in Sunderland, contributing to a continued fall in unemployment in the UK; and the Labour party's internal war on its Militant wing continued. On telly: we celebrated the 25th anniversary of the first episode of Coronation Street; top shows included Minder, Roland Rat and Blind Date . In our cinemas: Out of Africa, Clue and The Colour Purple.

Our charts were dominated this week by Wibbler Whitney, bloody Phil Collins, Lionel Richie, Madge, Band Aid, Pet Shop Boys and Wham! But holding on to her place in the Top 3 was Style Council singer (she later married Paul Weller) Dee C Lee, with her one and only hit.

But what a hit! It's the magnificent See The Day:

When you look at me
Tell me what you see
Do you see no love at all?
Or do you see in me
What you always see
In every girl that you fall for?

I will show you how love is meant to be
Just watch and learn and listen to me

Will you ever see the day
Heartache leads astray
Good love will always come from me
Will you ever learn to love
Without a little doubt?
Good love will always come from me

When you look away
Is it mean to say
That she haunts you night and day?
And does it hurt your heart
When I say let's start
To heal the part that's been torn

Don't you see that I
Am really worth a try
And I say to you
I know just what to do


Sublime.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. And the B-side was the sublime Paris Match by Style Council.

      Class. Whatever happened to it? Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]