Wednesday 8 June 2016

We'll be holding on forever



"It is certainly not hard to get motivated. Watching people sing along and put their hands in the air is a very powerful thing."

"I wanted to be a singer, not a star. There's a difference between wanting to be famous and wanting to sing well."

"I have never gone out of fashion. And do you know why? Because I never sought it. When you don't seek it, it's always with you."

"When I was young, I used to wear a lot of wigs, and I was running on stage at a gig and tripped over and it fell off. It was in the 1970s, and Swansea were doing really well in the league, and most of the team were there. I almost died, but I picked it up, put it back on my head and carried on."


The fab-a-las (as they say it in Swansea) Bonnie Tyler is sixty-five years old, which is rather scary, as is the fact she's also celebrating 40 years in the business...

We love her!

Facts about Our Bonnie:
  • Her uniquely husky singing voice is apparently the result of an operation to remove vocal nodules in the mid-1970s.
  • From working in a local shop, the then Gaynor Hopkins won a local talent contest in 1969 and launched herself as a singer under the name "Sherene Davis".
  • Finally, her big break came in 1975 when a talent scout spotted her, brought her to London to secure a record deal, and suggested she ditch "Sherene"; so Bonnie Tyler was born.
  • Through her husband, property developer Robert Sullivan, she is related to actress Catherine Zeta-Jones and attended her wedding to Michael Douglas.
  • Her hits Total Eclipse of the Heart and It's a Heartache have estimated sales of over 6 million units each, and are among the best-selling singles of all time.
Speaking of hits...



... and, of course, the hilarious "literal interpretation" video of her campest ever single - Total Eclipse of the Heart!


Many happy returns, Bonnie Tyler (born Gaynor Hopkins, 8th June 1951).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]